Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Square Birds [1958-1960]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Square Birds [1958-1960] Have a Square Bird that you want to showoff or just want to learn more about? Then you've come to the right place.

stall motor when cold (58 bird 352 c.i. auto)

This is a discussion on stall motor when cold (58 bird 352 c.i. auto) within the Square Birds [1958-1960] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; 40 F ,morning ...pump pedal twice , turn ignition key , motor running in park or neutral same thing happens ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 97.81.169.162
Old 11-02-2012, 08:57 AM

RobertZpianoman is on a distinguished road
Garage
stall motor when cold (58 bird 352 c.i. auto)

40 F ,morning ...pump pedal twice , turn ignition key , motor running in park or neutral same thing happens as rpm is correct ,timing correct , vacuum guage from base of carb tapped into wiper vacuume hose reading 18 hg.steady I put vehicle in gear within the first 30 seconds as to not trip garage smoke alarm with exhaust facing outwards from inside a single bay type garage and motor stops immediately. this only does this if below 50 F ambient temperature...so I try same again ...usually third time I get lucky and vehicle will start to go rearward in reverse out of garage and note that there is a growling noise in trans. area for 6 seconds as vehicle gets out of garage and all is normal. This will do the same if out side garage and starting at 40 F temp outside.and trying to go foward..but no growling heard foward.When warm outside all is fine no stalling. venturi choke plate to service book specs as directed, any ideas? thanks ,otherwise manual shift lever in low , car going 26 mph flat road ,select moved to D 1 position and vehicle acts as if it is trying to" bind "and a thud is heard as shift action goes into second with select lever in D1 .