Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Twilight Birds (MN12) [1994-1997]

Twilight Birds (MN12) [1994-1997] The last chapter of the book that we call the TBird Bible but only for another few years. Talk about yours here!

96 tbird wheels and maintenance

This is a discussion on 96 tbird wheels and maintenance within the Twilight Birds (MN12) [1994-1997] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; '96 Tbird 4.6L I was wondering what size tires you would need to run if you wanted to switch to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 64.233.133.194
Old 05-27-2006, 05:10 AM

cgilmore is on a distinguished road
96 tbird wheels and maintenance

'96 Tbird 4.6L

I was wondering what size tires you would need to run if you wanted to switch to 17X9 Cobra R's from the original 15X6.5's and if there are many clearance issues. I currently have the chrome seven spoke directional wheels, and i have had several offers to buy them. I have seen prices ranging from 200 to 700 bucks for them. I like them, but i just think it is time for a new look. I half thought about trading the wheels and tires (Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's) for a set of four Cobra R's (95 or 03) and a decent set of tires if the demand was really there for the stock wheels. Now that i have a shop to work in, and I'm not stuck in an apartment complex where they frown on do it yourself types, I can finally change my own oil. The biggest issue is getting to the oil filter. I have heard that you can turn the wheel one way or another for more clearance, but i have yet to try this. Any help on getting a better angle on that thing is appreciated. Anyone else hear that Fram filters were junk? I have heard that too, and have switched back to the motorcraft type. I have already changed the plugs to NGK V-Cores, the wires over to 9MM Ford Racing wires, and MSD Blaster Coils (which i read in another entry that modifying a stock motor with these things will do nothing, oh well) but now my check engine light comes on. According to a local mechanic, my engine is seeing a bigger spark, and I should either look into burning the computer with the new programs, or maybe a chip. Any suggestions?
This is a lot for a first time on here, but this is all the stuff I have wondered about for a while now, but haven't looked into too deeply. Any help would be appreciated.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 205.188.116.69
Old 06-05-2006, 10:50 AM

JohnS9163 is on a distinguished road
It would seem that nobody ever monitors this forum anymore thus nobody ever responds....sad....very sad...